Friday, November 18, 2011

a service trip

Yesterday I had the oppotunity to give back a bit. I love doing this, especially around the holidays when I feel So blessed, its nice to do something for others. A moms group that I attend did a service morning for organization here called Crossroads. Basically they collect used goods from Hong Kong and then match those with needs all over the world. They send out a shipment or two every week! They also have a beautiful coffee shop and fair trade store.
 They provided childcare, so it was a perfect opportunity for me! My son Jack is checking out the ox cart with his friend. First, we had beautiful cappuccinos at the Silk Road Cafe.

 I was assigned to the local distribution office where goods are given to the needy of Hong Kong. I spent the morning contacting social workers to remind them of the appointments of their cases. It wasn't quite was I was thinking I would be doing, but was a need, so I was glad to help. I took a few pictures on the base. LOTS of containers waiting to be shipped out or filled.
 The ministry has expanded in recent years to also provide simulation experiences about life in poverty. I have seen a few of there programs and they really make you appreciate your blessings and see poverty through the eyes of those who live it each day.
 We were were finished I got to make a quick run through the store. I LOVE that place... I really just needed one thing for a Chirstmas gift, but I did snap a few pictures. They have handicrafts from around the world.




 
I'm also really excited for another project we will be doing soon. Crossroads is partnering with the store Lane Crawford to make blankets. you can go into any store here and pick up a kit with needles and yarn to knit a 8x8 square which will then be sewn into blankets. I'm going to go pick up enough for our entire moms group to knit during our Christmas tea. What a fun way to give!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails